I'm moving to El Salvador


I just received notification that I have been accepted to serve as a Peace Corps Response volunteer in La Palma, Chalatenango El Salvador! 

My official title is “Youth Outreach Music Coordinator”.  My assignment will be to work with local stakeholders and citizens within the community to strengthen a music program that keeps youth from delinquency and gangs. 

I am so delighted that I can hardly contain myself!

So basically what this means for my near future is that I will have the opportunity to finish Peace Corps Botswana as a Community Capacity Builder on June 10th.  I’m hoping to fit one last adventure in with Duncan to Cape Town for a few days, and then I’ll fly back to the United States.  Once in Tucson, I’ll have an opportunity to quickly readjust to the fast-paced life in America: visit my little brother’s graduation from the Air Force Academy, spend some much-needed time with friends and family, etc. Then, just when I’ll have caught my breath, I’ll be flying out to San Salvador, El Salvador for a 2 week introductory training. 

This assignment is scheduled to last 8 months.  I’m so propitious to have been selected for this opportunity! The fact that they only select one PCR volunteer per opening strengthens my personal confidence and makes me feel like I must have done something right!

Now, the plan is that once I finish my service in El Salvador in March, I’ll have five months to re-establish myself in America, move to Washington D.C., and settle in.  I’ll then begin studying to earn my Masters Degree in International Peace and Conflict Resolution from American University’s School of International Service (one of the top five best schools for international development) utilizing my Paul D. Coverdell Fellowship. 

I think that my time in Botswana has been an indispensable step in my life to reflect and grow as an individual. I know that all of the obstacles and frustrations over the past two years have been the rainstorms that have provided this seed to grow.  I feel like I’m slowly blooming into the individual I want to one day become:

someone who benefits the world,

someone who lives life with a purpose,

someone who can share happiness and wisdom. 

A good friend,

a good listener,

a positive role model.

Here’s to hoping that the oncoming years bring more life lessons, more moments to conquer struggles, more smiles, more tears, more laughter, and more moments to feel alive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Blog...Who dis?

Cribs: Botswana Edition