Ke Teng

In Setswana, there is a phrase: Ke teng.  

Literally, these two words simply mean "I am here". When I first arrived to Botswana almost four years ago, this was one of the first things I learned not only because it was relatively easy to remember, but because it was used multiple times throughout the day. 

Bush Fire, Gobojango, Botswana 2014
If someone asked "how are you?" you could answer "ke teng".  If they asked what you were up to, where you were, etc. the answer was always the same.  

Now, seemingly worlds apart and a plethora of experiences later, I have had the opportunity to meditate a bit on this phrase and its actual pertinence to everyday life.  

Sunset over the Chobe River, Zambia 2014
I have learned that "I am here" isn't as much of a physical state of being as it is a mental one.  To be present, one has to believe every aspect of their surrounding is their reality. In this process, presence leads to self-realization and understanding and establishment of personal norms.  

Stability.  Constance. Permanence.

For the wanderlust-bitten traveler, this realization is a tough pill to swallow (see last month’s post and my personal apprehensions here).  It’s much easier to live life to its fullest when you have no qualms or reservations about making a lasting impression, because you can simply just reload your pack and move on the following day. Never looking back, never questioning "what if".  

Unfortunately, in that practice of constantly looking to the horizon, it is much easier to stumble over your path of the “now”.  Ke teng has no meaning if you’re physically present but mentally yearning for the next adventure.  In my craving for exploration, I have mistaken my recent move to D.C. as a daunting obstacle rather than an opportunity to be here; to be present.  
City street next to National Archives, Washington DC 2015
Regardless of who you are, moving to a new place is always off-setting. It ruins your routine, ruffles your expectations, and injects your reality with dark, oozing anxiety.  For me, my move to D.C. has been a journey of realizations. 

-         I have realized that everything is a matter of perception. Paradigms control the shifting ebbs and flows of change, and even the smallest glint of surprise can alter an intended trajectory.  
-         I have realized that patience is not just a virtue; it is a way of life. And in the toils and reverberations of “big city living”, it is often more arduous to find a moment to oneself to reflect in introspection than it is to bypass it and continue onward.
-         I have realized that my music is abounding to be sung.  This past week, in between the time that I was grueling over scholarly journals for class, I happened upon an inspiring quote from a pundit whom I admire.  Through her musings, this spiritual leader emphasized the phrase, “Don’t die with your music still inside of you”. 

This quote resonated deeply within me; it vibrated between my ribs and sank deeply into my core.  I have met so many people thus far in my journey who wear their music on their face, their smiles echo their inner peace and resonate their playfulness with life.   Oftentimes I’ve realized that these individuals are the ones who have the least material connection to the world: their routines depend on the rising and setting sun, on that year’s harvest, and on the souls they surround themselves with.  
 
My muse, Samantha Mmapetla, Gobojango, Botswana 2013

Since my move to DC, I have met so many characters who shove their songs so deeply within them that what remains is a shell of a human being, a persona if you will.  Everyone is so focused upon earning the roll of choral director that their actual music has been lost.  

In the effort of being present, I fully intend to release my music, and to share it with those who comprise my surroundings.  

After all, I’m beginning to believe in enjoy this new reality. 
 
Columbia Heights, Washington DC 2015

Alongside the realizations and encounters thus far, ke teng for the first time in a while. 
Costa Rica, 2015

Comments

  1. This blog is really so well decorated.Love this so much.Thank you
    clipping path service

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic blog post. Much thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cribs: Botswana Edition